One thing that is important to me is giving back to the community. I've been blessed in so many ways and I know that it's my civic duty to help those in need. People sometimes think that giving back means giving a lot of time or money, but it really doesn't. It's really all about how much you want to give and trust me, every little bit helps. Also, sometimes you might just now know exactly how you can give back, so I've got a list of tips to help you out.
- Here's one thing that most people can do – go through your closet and pull out any everyday items that you have not worn in the last year. If you haven't worn it in the last year, the likelihood that you'll wear it again is pretty slim. The exception is special occasion attire like formal gowns and tuxedos. If any of the items are still in good condition, put them in a bag to donate to a charity. If not, do yourself a favor and toss the items that are not in good condition into the trash. There are many who could use gently worn clothing. And don't forget about your coats that are still in good condition that you just don't wear anymore. I do this at least once a year and
- Look at household items that are in good condition that you don't use or that you have multiples of. Sometimes when people move in together, you find yourself with two microwaves or more TVs than you have room for. This tip and the one above allow you to create extra space in your home and allow you to be a blessing to someone else.
- Want to give some of your time? Think about causes that are near and dear to you. Have a particular illness? Overcome an obstacle in your life? Been on the receiving end of a charity? Get involved with causes that address those particular issues that affect not only your life, but the lives of so many others.
- Do you have a special talent or skill that you're passionate about? Maybe you can volunteer your talent or skills teaching others who could not afford to pay for lessons, by hosting a community workshop, or by providing your service at a special event hosted by a charity.
- And one last tip that's a bit unconventional. Follow your favorite charities on social media and repost when they are doing a drive, seeking donations, having a special event, or when they simply post something interesting and enlightening. You never know how spreading the word can reach the right audience and benefit both parties.
Speaking of using social media to spread the love, Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, a company that has been exclusively insuring jewelry for the last 100 years, is giving back by donating $2 million to support three important causes and they need our help. Through their corporate giving campaign called Band Together, Jewelers Mutual plans to help with health, home, and hunger by dispersing this record-breaking donation to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Habitat for Humanity, and Feeding America or Food Banks Canada. Now, here's where we come in. Between today, July 11, 2016 at 11 AM CT and July 31, 2016 at 11 PM CT, Band Together with Jewelers Mutual and help decide how this money should be dispersed. The cause that receives the most votes by the end of July will receive a $1 million donation from Jewelers Mutual. The runner-up will receive $700,000 and the third place winner will receive $300,000. And throughout the campaign, voters will be entered to win a set of 3 stacking bands ($450 retail value) from STACKED New York – one winner each of the 3 weeks of the campaign. Voting daily increases your chances of winning!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.