Wednesday, April 15, President Obama came to Charlotte to hold a Town Hall meeting and I had the honor of attending (special shout out to my Mom, Lisa Stone, BlogHer, and SheKnows)! The President's main focus for the discussion was equal pay and other economic and financial issues affecting families. Here are some of the comments that stood out to me and that I live-tweeted (follow me on Twitter @BlitzAndGlam):
- On more women going into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM): The number of women going into forensics skyrocketed after CSI because women saw other women in that field. Girls and women must see themselves in these fields.
- On small business: Every big business started as a small business.
- On childcare: It is important to have flexibility in the workplace when it comes to childcare.
- On student loans and the cost of higher education: It is important to reduce the cost of higher education. Ways that we can do that is by offering more online education and by counseling students so that they can get through college without it taking more years than necessary.
- On equal pay: Some Republicans in Congress dispute that equal pay is a problem. They put the blame on lifestyle choices.
- Taxes: The rich don't need tax breaks.
— Valerie Jarrett (@vj44) April 15, 2015
Photography: Tamara A. Marbury