15 Jan

My Morning Routine

Morning Products

Earlier this week, I shared with you my travel list for 2015.  My other main focus for this year is to practice my photography and become a superstar photographer by December 31, 2015.  Ok, maybe not superstar, but I definitely want to see my photography improve over the course of the year.  So, when fellow blogger Mimi of Lipgloss & Binky posted about hers and LaShawn's (Everyday Eyecandy) photography challenge, Project 52, I was all in (ok, maybe not quite ALL in since I didn't post for week 1 of the challenge. Oops.).  Since the week 2 photo prompt is "Morning," I decided to photograph and write about my morning routine (this isn't everything in my morning routine though. I do brush my teeth, too.).

Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes.  Actually I use these at night before bed, but I love them so much that I wanted to include them in the photo.  Every woman should have towelettes regardless of your skin care routine.  I mean, think of those late nights when you're just too tired to go through a lengthy face cleansing routine.  You can grab a wipe just before you fall over in bed and wipe your face clean just before you enter dreamland.  I have dry skin and I love that they don't leave my face feeling dry.  I need to try the Hydrating wipes.

Dove Shea Butter soap.  I'm a bar soap kind of girl.  I just never got into body washes.  And Dove is the soap that I've used since I was little.  I'm currently using the shea butter soap to add extra moisture during these cold winter months to my already dry skin.  I use the exfoliating bar soap when I'm not using this one.

St. Ives Green Tea Scrub.  I don't use this every morning, but I love the way this face scrub makes my skin feel.  It always feels so soft after I use it.

Michael Kors Glam Jasmine.  This is my current scent of choice.  You might get into a little bit of trouble wearing this.  *wink*

Real Techniques Makeup Brushes.  I really like these brushes for applying my makeup.  I have a whole set of them, but I think I only currently use 1, maybe 2 if I decide to wear blush.

Wet n Wild Deep Blue Eye Liner.  I mostly wear black eyeliner, but I wanted to try a navy eyeliner so I grabbed this eyeliner in Rite Aid recently.  I'm not trying to spend a lot of money on trying out a eyeliner.  This one works great and now I work it in whenever it goes with my #ootd.

Bobbi Brown Concealer in Almond and Sheer Finish Loose Powder in Basic Brown.  Bobbi Brown has been my main makeup brand since college.  It was actually a Mac makeup artist who put me on Bobbi Brown.  He recommended it to me because he felt it would be the better brand for my dry skin.  I still wear it to this day.

Curel Ultra Healing and Itch Defense.  As I mentioned, I have dry skin.  I also have eczema, but luckily it isn't too bad.  I use Curel brand lotions to keep my skin hydrated.  My normal choice is Ultra Healing, but I recently decided to also try Itch Defense since it has received the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance.  Eczema, and really just dry skin in general, can tend to make you a little itchy, so I thought I would try it to see if it would calm my sometimes itchy skin.  Plus, it's supposed to help control flare ups.  Also, both are gentle enough to use on the face.  One thing that I can say about Ultra Healing is that it leaves my skin feeling hydrated all day long, whereas some other brands leave my skin feeling dry about an hour or two after application.

What does your morning routine look like?  Do you use any of the above products?  What are some of your favorite skin care and beauty products?

• Tekesha

Thank you so much for the Curel recommendation!! I have really, really dry skin. I've used Eucerin Skin Calming lotion for years, but just recently it has NOT been cutting it and I look like Ashy Larry by lunch. I am running to get this Curel this very evening!! ๐Ÿ˜€

January 15, 2015 at 11:01 am
  • Tia

I don't wear makeup everyday but when I do I love my MAC products. I just snagged a new lipstick and gloss today. I went to the mall to get the new Proactiv but found out it's a better deal online so I'll be trying that for my skin routine soon.

January 15, 2015 at 6:45 pm
  • Andrea @ MouseInMyPocket.com

1st I want to tell you how lovely your photos are.  That is a really nice backdrop for your products.  I've never tried most of these brands, though I do occassionaly have dove soap in the house.  My morning routine usually just involves hitting the snooze button a few times before I drag myself out of bed to brush my teeth and get out the door.  That's probably why I don't wear makeup very often, that and it has a tendency to cause my face to break out worse than normal.  Though I have found that the Burt's Bees tomato toner does wonderful things for solving that problem when I can find it.  When I do wear makeup my brand of choice is benefit. It tends to work very well for my skin tone and not look fake.

January 15, 2015 at 9:08 pm
  • Mrs. Delightful

Thanks for sharing! I have to look into purchasing the Curel lotion for my family.

January 16, 2015 at 7:00 am
  • Megan

I definitely need to get into the makeup routine. I have zero knowledge and I could really use it sometimes haha. Also, I'll be checking out that lotion too! My son has horrible excema on his legs. Not so bad in the summer but the winter makes it flare up pretty bad. Lavender oil has helped a lot but he still needs a good moisturizer. Thanks for sharing your morning! I was late to the game too but am pretty excited about this next year of photos!

January 16, 2015 at 9:23 am

I'm usually rushing in the morning,so my makeup time is limited to 5mins….eyeliner, mascara and a lip stick/gloss of choice. Normally, I used Noxzema for my daily face wash, but because I have hormonal acne, I just recently started using Trader Joe's Norish facial cleanser and moisturizer for my oily skin. The only thing I use from your list is the Michael Kors perfume but mine is in Sweet Amber. Great post, Tamara! great pic quality. I need to look for me a camera…ASAP!

January 16, 2015 at 10:55 am
  • Debra@AModernTranslation

I use a line filler, eye cream, face moisturizer with spf every morning. Makeup is simple during the week – cc cream, mascara, lip conditioner and a gloss. I also use Dove, love it. Great photos, good luck on your challenge. I may check it out as my one of my goals is to improve my photos. Have a great weekend!

January 17, 2015 at 8:18 am
  • Leslie

I love the variety you have here. I too am using Glam Jasmine, i. love. it! So does everyone around me, hah. I should probably get a morning routine together then I wont be running around like a crazy person. I'm stopping by from SITS, happy Saturday!

January 17, 2015 at 9:37 am
  • Laura

Love those photos!! I, too, have awful dry skin in the winter so I will be trying the Curel Itch Defense. There is nothing worse than an itchy back while sitting at a desk all day. ๐Ÿ˜‰

January 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm
  • LaShawn

I really have to look into Curel. I have extremely dry skin this year and nothing is working! My son had eczema when he was a baby and Cetaphil really worked for him.

January 18, 2015 at 1:04 pm
  • Tonya

I am going to look for some of that Dove Shea Butter soap.  I used to use the St.Ives facial scrub and I liked it.

My third daughter used to have eczema.  I used everything you could think of including all the doctor's prescriptions.  One day I started using Vaseline and Water and that was the end of her eczema.  I was surprised that it worked as quickly. I had to use certain clothes for her at night when I applied this because it was quite greasy.

I am going to have to get some Bobbi Brown products as well.  I want to try that line.

January 19, 2015 at 11:45 am
  • Mimi

This has brought me to the realization that I need to step up my beauty product game. These days I've just been doing the basics but I've heard so much about the Curel I may have to get it. I splurged on the Eucerin and it did nothing.

If that Michael Kors is going to get me in trouble I need to go find some of that ASAP!!

January 19, 2015 at 11:50 pm
  • Artney

My routine is very simple. Water, Cetaphil (after workouts) and I must have Dove in the rotation! For makeup remover I use that old school Ponds cold cream with the green top. Ponds and Dove have been in my family for generations. I love blue eyeliner. I bought a cobalt blue one by Wet & Wild and fell in love. I'm going ot have to try this MK Glam Jasmine!

January 21, 2015 at 12:14 pm
  • Daenel T @ Living Outside the Stacks

Absolutely love your morning routine and your product recommendations. I don't have a skin care routine. It's really sad and I need one. I have dry skin and I'm in my 40s… Enough said. LOL

January 21, 2015 at 7:11 pm
  • Cam

I also am a bar soap girl and I use the Dove with Shea Butter. Love the way it smells! My skin is oily so my face routine is oil free everything lol. I wash my face with the Garnier  Mattifying face wash with charcoal in the formula, followed by Purpose brand moisturizer. I use Jergens Shea Butter lotion for my skin and I love love love it. For makeup, I am loving Becca brand foundation, particularly the Matte Skin formula. Awesome brand, lots of shades for women of color. I put the Cover FX brand powder to put on top for added shine control. Awesome brand as well and it is vegan. I use Cover Girl and Maybelline eyeliners and mascaras. J'Dore perfume.

January 24, 2015 at 11:13 am