22 Jan

My Guilty Pleasure

This week's prompt for Project 52 is "Guilty Pleasure."  I actually took this photo several weeks ago when I decided to do a post about the magazines that I read, but once I looked over the list of Project 52 photography prompts, I decided to save it for this week.

So, I love magazines.  Over the years I've had subscriptions to a lot of different magazines.  The bad part is that these days they seem to pile up and before I know it, I have 3 months of unread magazines.  But that is changing.  This year I vowed to stay on top of reading my magazines, which means I'm going to read each issue during its month.  (Yikes!  We're already half way through January and I haven't started on the January issues yet!)  Here are the magazines that I currently have subscriptions to (if you buy magazines on the newsstand you're paying way too much).

Glamour.  This is my favorite magazine.  A friend who is in the magazine industry once described Glamour as the ADD magazine.  I've diagnosed myself with ADD so it's a perfect match.

Essence.  Every time I think that I'm going to drop this subscription, I can't.  It's the black woman's magazine.  These days though I find myself reading very little of the content and mostly looking at the photos.  I do, however, enjoy checking out the recommended books feature.

InStyle.  I like InStyle for the outfit ideas and celebrity photos.  I'll admit that I rarely read the content beyond the polls and DVF's advice feature.  (Ok.  Maybe it's just that I like short articles and features and don't want to read the longer articles.  Glamour has a lot of short articles, which is why it's perfect for me and my ADD.)

Travel & Leisure.  I love to travel and this magazine features great locations and travel tips.  It inspires me to plan my next getaway or vacation.  I look forward to getting this magazine in the mail each month.

Entrepreneur.  This is an excellent magazine for the entrepreneur.  I've learned of some cool companies from this magazine and have been very inspired to start my own business one day.  Plus, it has lots of advice and tips and tools for the self-employed.

I really want a good photography magazine to subscribed to, so if you have any suggestions leave them below.  Which magazines do you subscribe to or buy?

• Tia

I love Glamour. I was a long time subscriber until recently. Like you, I enjoy their short articles and the funny tidbits. We are thinking of taking a trip (or two) this year. I should pick up a Travel and Leisure because we want to go somewhere that would be fun for us and the kids. It's been hard to find something that's not Disney and not a cruise.

January 23, 2015 at 5:42 pm
  • Krystal Grant

I'm terrible with magazines. Like you, I have a stack of unread magazines piled in my home office. I decided to get rid of all my subscriptions because I felt like it was a waste of paper. I rarely buy magazines now. I only read them when I'm standing in the grocery line. But I've heard a few people talk about Entrepreneur. I may invest in a subscription to it.

January 23, 2015 at 7:36 pm
  • Elizabeth

In the past I subscribed to glamour and instyle. I didn't renew last time though. I've recently been thinking about subscribing to vogue, but I have the same problem with magazines piling up.

January 24, 2015 at 3:59 am
  • Brianna

I love magazines too.  I read mostly fitness and health ones with a bit of home/food and the occasional Cosmo and other fashion mag in between.

Brianna @ Diva and the Divine

January 24, 2015 at 4:25 am
  • Alex

For me they aren't guilty pleasure, but work reading 😉

I have been subscribed to Marie Claire and I am going to renew the subscription in the coming days. I do read Glamour but not every month, so I buy it at the news stand when it interests me. One magazine I get from my MIL, it is called Gioia but not sure there's an international verion of it.

The reason I paused the Marie Claire sub was that infact I too wasn't keeping up and am like 4 months behind. Not good at all.

Stopping by from the SITS Girls btw. Wishing you a nice weekend!

Alex – <a href="http://www.funkyjungle.it">Funky Jungle</a>

January 24, 2015 at 7:32 am
  • Siobhan (BeFree Project)

I really enjoy reading magazines too and I use to have multiple subscriptions to vairous different magazines. I started realizing that I didn't have enough time to get through them all and they would start to pile up. Currently I'm subscribed to Inc Magazine and Fast Company. #Sitgirls

January 24, 2015 at 10:21 am
  • Lowanda J

I have a guilty pleasure for magazines as well and would add O to your line up.  I just don't have time to always read them when I want.

January 24, 2015 at 10:50 am
  • mitchypoo

I am guilty too, I love magazines. I have a Nook which is great for mags bc they don't pile up on my nightstand, but like a real book, I like to flip the pages and see everything in print.

January 24, 2015 at 11:42 pm
  • Michellette "Mimi" Green

Growing up I lived for magazines. Seventeen, Jet, Ebony, Essence and a little Redbook. Like you these days I simply don;t have time to actually sit and read them. I love to read cover to cover. I do buy them here and there but the month has gone by before I actually get to read them. hahahaha

January 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm
  • LaShawn

I lvoe magazines. Growing up, we had them everywhere in our house, dating back to those big editions of Ebony! But now I just don't have time to read them like I should! I only have two subscriptions: Click Magazine and Southern Living. LOL ( the pictures!!!!)

January 29, 2015 at 6:50 am
  • Mimi

I have a stack so high right now but I am keeping the faith that I will get to them. I really don't read them, I just like the pictures!! I may read at the most 3 articles out of a magazine. I mostly skim but I do love them. The struggle when I had to throw them away when we moved. I had over 300 and we had to have a come to Jesus moment about how many I would keep. I kept 100 and although they are collecting dust I still love to look at them.

January 29, 2015 at 9:44 am
  • Mimi

Oh….Click is a great photography magazine to read. It's geared toward women. I love it.

January 29, 2015 at 9:45 am