10 Feb

10 More Don’ts of Instagram

Finally, the long-awaited and much asked for follow-up to the 21 Do's And Don'ts of Instagram is here!  Please remember that these are my tips and pet peeves.  You don't have to agree (although I suspect that you will agree with at least a few).  If you see yourself in this list, well, just know that I will try not to judge you. *wink*

1. Don't like your own photos.  You posted it.  We know you like it.
  2. Don't post a screenshot showing all of your photos that someone liked.  No one really cares.  If you want to thank them for liking your photos, go and like or comment on one or two of their photos (if they have a private account then just thank them in the comments of one of your photos).
  3. Don't post an old Instagram photo as your #TBT (Throwback Thursday) photo.  We saw it the first time.
  4. Don't treat Instagram like Pinterest.  Post some of your own original photos at least occasionally (preferably most of the time).
  5. Don't screenshot and post your tweets.  Instagram is Instagram and Twitter is Twitter.
  6. Don't be afraid to unfollow anyone who annoys you with their posts.
  7. Don't repost celebrity (Beyonce) photos if it's a celebrity (Beyonce) with millions of followers.  We're all following them (Beyonce), so we don't need to see their (Beyonce) photos reposted by everyone we follow.
  8. Don't lurk.  Why follow someone if you're never going to like or comment on their photos?  If you don't actually like any of their photos, why are you following them?
  9. Don't use the Earlybird filter for EVERY photo.  Ok.  Don't use any one filter for every photo.  Be adventurous.  Try a different filter every now and again.
  10. Don't post 50 photos a day.  You're spamming us.

What are some of your Instagram pet peeves and/or tips?  Be sure to follow me on Instagram @BlitzAndGlam.

You have hit the nail on the head with EVERY last one of theses “don’t”…I can’t and never will do any of these listed. I’m trying to understand WHY people do these things. Gosh, I hope everyone come by your post and reads this….lol

February 10, 2014 at 8:17 am
  • Dana

I can’t stand the lurkers! Ugh. I like to engage with the people and brands that I follow on IG.

February 10, 2014 at 10:33 am
  • Samantha Angell

I agree with all of these! A possible addition to your list (in light of the recent holiday): On Valentine’s Day, don’t post pictures of your flowers/chocolate! We get that you got these because its Valentines Day…guess what, so did pretty much every woman in America. (I’m married, my husband got me flowers, but I don’t need to share it with the world! Wow, an amazing revelation)… Stopping by from the SITS sharefest today!

February 15, 2014 at 6:38 am
  • Rosa Dest

I’ve just started using Instagram and appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks

February 15, 2014 at 8:37 am
  • Suzanna

Oops, I’m definitely guilty of #9! Haha. Thanks for posting this to keep us all on track 😉

Suzanna
    Visiting via #SITSsharefest

February 15, 2014 at 9:52 am
  • Sarah @ The Bluntest Blog

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!! Couldn’t have said it better myself. Maybe Instagram should make this part of their terms before people can use the app. HAHAHA.

Stopping by from SITS (again!). :)

February 15, 2014 at 11:32 am
  • Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean

haha i def agree with some of these but whoops! i’m also guilty of some of them :)

February 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm
  • Nicole

Lurkers drive me nuts too. I don’t understand why you’re on social media if you don’t want to engage. I’m guilty of not unfollowing people who annoy me. I just scroll on past their posts and move on with my day.

February 15, 2014 at 3:33 pm
  • Leah Sannar

Oh my gosh, I totally laughed out loud while reading this – It’s so true and I’ve seen all of these on Instagram!! Totally enjoyed this post – thanks for sharing.

Found your blog via SITS ShareFest!

Leah

February 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm
  • Eva Marie Taylor

I never want to hurt anyone’s feelings by unfollowing people that follow me and just end up scrolling through. I wish there weren’t things like statigram. Over from SITS :)

February 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm
  • Crystal Green

I have to really dig into Instagram. I’m basically a total rookie with it. I didn’t even know that posting screenshots and the same thing on Twitter was a total no-no. So, if you ever see me in my attempts to do something on Instagram that is WRONG. Please, oh please, tell me about it. I don’t know much about it or Google+, and feel like a little dabber trying to attempt to do something with it. Thank you for these tips.

February 15, 2014 at 8:28 pm
  • Becky

Thanks for all the great tips! I am pinning so I can revisit often :) Visiting from the SITS Saturday Sharefest

February 16, 2014 at 8:06 am
  • Ann Bouvier

OMG I totally agree with this list. AND I when people post every meal that they eat everyday

February 21, 2014 at 11:14 am
  • Millie Serena

These are hilarious and very true ! Except i dont mind screenshotting a tweet lol,

May 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm