If you missed Monday Night Football, you missed not only a great game, but you also missed a record being broken. The Atlanta Falcons traveled to New Orleans to take on the Saints in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome with a lot on the line. A win by the Saints would mean their hopes for a first-round bye in the playoffs would remain alive and they would become the NFC South Champions. Not only did the Saints beat the Falcons 45-16, but Saints quarterback Drew Brees also broke Dan Marino's 1984 single season passing record of 5,084 yard when his final pass in the game gave him a season total of 5,087 yards, and what better way to break the record than on a touchdown pass to Darren Sproles. (For those who don't know, Drew Brees was instrumental in getting Sproles to the Saints from the San Diego Chargers this season, a team Brees also once played for.) The Superdome went wild and Brees' teammates rushed him to congratulate him. I must admit that I got a little teary-eyed watching it–I was almost as pumped as when the Saints won the Super Bowl.
Dan Marino (@DanMarino) tweeted, "Congrats to @drewbrees. Great job by such a special player." Many others also took to Twitter to congratulate Brees:
- Michael Vick (@mikevick): "Congrats to Drew Brees!!!!"
- Chris Paul (@CP3): CONGRATS to @drewbrees on breaking the Single Season Passing Record!!! He's not only a great QB, he's a better person!!! #SAINTS"
- Spike Lee (@SpikeLee): "Brooklyn Shout Out to Record Breaking Saints QB DREW BREES. WHO DAT? WHO DAT? Great, Great Season. Peace And Love, Spike."
- Desmond Howard (@DesmondHoward): "Congrats to Drew Brees and the Saints for breaking Dan Marino's single season passing record. #whodat"
- Ellen DeGeneres (@theellenshow): "Congratulations to @drewbrees on breaking the single season passing record. Portia & I are jumping on the couch."
Drew Brees later tweeted, "Celebrating with my teammates. Such a special night. Thanks to so many for making this possible. Who Dat Nation…I love you"